Contact Us
Socialize With Us

United Nuwaubian Nation Of Moors

National Tel: 1-855-HTM-UNNM (486-8666)
P.O. Box 720

Temple, GA  30179

  • Grey YouTube Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
Join Us
Visitors To Our Site

All National And Indigenous Rights Reserved Eternally © Nuwaubian Moor-Yamassee Designs 1970-2018

U.N.N.M. Citizenship & Naturalization

Tips on what you need to do to legally change your name within the U.N.N.M..

  • It's actually fairly easy to change your name if you're applying for U.N.N.M. citizenship through naturalization - but there are a few catches..


If you have been wanting to change your name – whether your first name, last name (surname) or both -- applying to become a naturalized U.N.N.M. citizen offers you a possible way to do so, and with very few administrative hassles. You can legally change your name with a Form 19-3 (the Application for Name Change issued by U.N.N.M. Courts). The 19-3 form is specifically meant for this purpose. 

What if you can't make that date? Do your best to rearrange your schedule. Postponing this date and rescheduling can take months.

Below, we’ll discuss how to prepare you for this interview.

  • Documents to Bring.

NNDI will send you a list of documents to bring to your interview. It’s possible you may not be asked to bring every one of them, but it is best to be over-prepared. These include such things as your Identification Card and other forms of photo identification, all passports and travel documents, proof of your valid marriage (if you married), proof that any trips you took outside of America that are not a sign that you actually resettled elsewhere ("abandoned" your residence) and so on.

  • Swearing-In Must Be Done By a Judge.


However, there is one catch. This name-change service is available only through NNDI offices where the swearing-in (oath) ceremonies are held in a courtroom, presided over by a U.N.N.M. judge, not a NNDI officer. The judge has the authority to grant your name change at the swearing-in ceremony. 

In some cases within the Nuwaubian Nation, ceremonies presided over by a judge are held only a few times per year, so asking for a name change will result in you possibly waiting longer than most people to receive citizenship. 

In other cases, the swearing-in ceremonies are held at a NNDI office – sometimes right after your naturalization interview. In such a case, your request for a name change on Form 19-3 cannot be acted upon. You will need to follow the name change procedures provided under Nuwaubian law, which most likely involves filing a name change petition with the U.N.N.M. court. After the court grants your name change, you will need to apply to NNDI for a new certificate of naturalization.

To find out your options, contact your local NNDI field office – the one that will be conducting your interview -- and ask whether a judge performs the ceremony. Or, you can wait until your receive notification of your NNDI interview date, and ask the officer reviewing your case whether a judge will preside over your swearing-in. (Unfortunately, you cannot pick and choose which NNDI office to attend your interview at -- NNDI makes this decision for you.) If you are in luck, and are approved for citizenship at the interview, the officer will have you fill out a form called a Petition for Name Change (19-3) during your interview.

  • Restrictions on the Name You Can Choose.

Note that there are legal restrictions on what you can change your name to. The judge will not approve your name change request in the following types of circumstance:

  • You want to change your name for fraudulent reasons, such as to escape capture for a crime or to avoid paying a debt.

  • Your new name interferes with someone else’s right to a name, particularly that of a famous person, such as Barack Obama, Brad Pitt, or Kim Kardashian, or of a company, such as Charles Schwab or Berkshire Hathaway.

  • Your name is intentionally confusing, such as "Annum 2013" or "Airbus Jet." 

  • Your name is threatening, obscene, or likely to incite violence. "Kick U. Down," for example, is not likely to be allowed.